Thursday, August 28, 2008

First day of School




I realize I am quite far behind in posting so there will be a couple today. the kids all started school on Monday this week. They were all very excited. Alex is in afternoon kindergarten and asked repeatedly all morning if it was time to go yet. The next day she only asked twice and yesterday she only asked once. The first day, she about leaped out of the car as soon as we got there. She is enjoying school, as I knew she would. The boys are enjoying school as well, BJ has made the transition smoothly, but Andrew is having a more difficult time. He always seems to take awhile to get into things no matter how much he wants to do them. We've already gotten into the same old ruts with trying to hurry the boys in the morning to get ready and out the door on time and convincing them to get lunches. Any great suggestions for getting kids more excited about bringing their own lunch?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I am just starting with the "take lunch to school" and so far Holly loves it. Of course she hardly eats what I give her. Recess is right after you finish your lunch.

Wow three in school. Crazy!

Joanne said...

Hmmm, how to get kids excited about taking lunch to school??? I have had years of experience and question if I ever had success. I did not want to hear about them swapping their lunches at the swap table!!! I tried ants on a log, Japanse rice balls (in the shapes of flowers), stuffed and toasted sandwiches (in a sandwich grill), square shaped hard cooked eggs.... I tried to get them involved in making their lunches (they'd rather go hungry). But my favorite was a Reader's Digest article years ago about a mom who bought enough day old bread and sandwich makings for an entire year for all the kids. They would take several days before school started making sandwiches and then froze them. Can you imagine the joy on their faces by the end of May pulling out of their bag a freezer burned balogne sandwich? Good luck! (and this from a dietitian) Love to read up on you and your darling little family!